Skip to main content

"Cry baby!"

"The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep." ~ Henry Maudsley

Did you know that our bodies create 3 different types of tears?  

{Photo - Internet}
(1) Reflex
(2) Continuous
(3) Emotional

What's more, each type of tear has it's own healing purpose, e.g.

(1) Reflex tears allow our eyes to clear out noxious particles when 
they’re irritated by smoke or exhaust.

(2) Continuous tears are produced regularly to keep our eyes lubricated--these contain a chemical called “lysozyme” which functions as an anti-bacterial and protects our eyes from infection.

(3) Emotional tears have special health benefits... and it is these 
health benefits which I have been studying this past week.

The Benefits of Shedding Emotional Tears

Modern day science has found that 'emotional tears' are beneficial in the following ways:

1 Emotional tears release the hormone ‘cortisol’ from our body.

Dr Frey, Ramsey Medical Center, Minneapolis, found that tears caused by emotions had high levels of 
cortisol, which are then excreted into the body during times of stress!  Whilst cortisol is an important hormone that serves to balance normal body function, high and prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have a negative effect and have been found to be associated with all sorts of medical problems, e.g. 

Impaired congnitive performance, suppressed thyroid function, blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia, type 2 diabetes, decreased bone density, decreased muscle tissue, raised blood pressure, lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slower wound healing, increased abdominal fat, which is associated 
with heart attacks, strokes, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL) which in turn can lead to other health problems!


2 Additional studies also suggest that emotional crying stimulates the production of ‘endorphins’, i.e. the body’s natural pain killer and “feel-good” hormones!”


I'm sure we all have experienced the benefits of 'endorphins' at some time or other and can each personally vouch that we do indeed feel much better after a good cry.

3 Psychologists consider that when people stifle their emotions, it actually cultivates anger and depression.  

However, they also found that breathing tends to improve after crying, i.e. it becomes deeper which in turn helps to control anger and anxiety!

4 Emotional tears also alert us to a 'need' in others.  

Emotional tears can often be a good indicator that someone needs our prayer support, comfort, and encouragement.  

Additional research

  • 88.8 % of people feel better after crying.
  • On average women cry 47 times a year and men a mere 7.
  • Until puberty, crying levels are much the same for each gender – testosterone may reduce crying in boys while oestrogen and prolactin increases the tendency in girls.
  • Men excrete more of the toxins related to emotional stress in their sweat! Because they have higher sweat levels than women. 
  • Saying: "Be brave, don't cry" is totally unhelpful because crying can actually help reduce pain.

Emotional Tears and the Bible

Some Biblical examples re: emotional tears:

Mark 14:72  And the second time the cockerel crowed. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, “Before the cockerel crows twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.” And when he thought thereon, he wept.

Ruth 1:9 Ruth said: “The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband.”
Then she kissed them [her two daughter in laws]; and they lifted up their voice, and wept.

Genesis 43:30 And Joseph made haste; for his bowels did yearn upon his brother: and he sought where to
weep; and he entered into his chamber, and wept there.

Genesis 46:29 And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen,
and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.

John 20:11  But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down,
and looked into the sepulchre.

Luke 19:41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, [Jesus] wept over it.

John 11:35 “Jesus wept.”

Even Jesus shed tears when He was overcome with emotion and therefore, He leads the way by example.
If Jesus [in all His humanity] wept - we should never be ashamed to cry whenever we feel the need to!


What have I learnt from this study?

Emotional tears are the body’s way of helping to protect and preserve our lives whilst under 
immense stress and pressure.  They are scientifically regarded as being beneficial psychologically, 
physically, and socially.  What's more, our God created all 3 types of tears and He did so with their different healing purposes in mind. 

Regardless of the circumstance,
Regardless of the fear,
Regardless of the pain we bear,
Regardless of the tear,
Our God is ever in control, 
Performing as He should, 
And He has promised in His word 
To work things for our good 
But as a loving Father would, 
He sometimes lets us cry 
To cleanse the hurt out of our heart, 
To wash it from our eye. 
Yet gently gathers He the tears 
Within His hands to stay 
Until He turns them into pearls 
And gives them back someday. 

© 1980 Glenda Fulton Dav Tears

NB Frequent crying is not always good for you and can be a sign of more serious conditions, such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and postnatal depression. Therefore, if you're depressed and crying all the time, you might need to seek pastoral and medical help.

Sources of medical/scientific information:


This post was featured on Deep Roots at Home

Wendy is originally from the North West coast of Scotland, near Glencoe.  She trusted the Lord Jesus as Saviour in November 1986 during a Faith Mission Campaign. 

Comments

kd sullivan said…
This was really wonderful! Thanks for giving me permission to cry!
Wendy said…
Glad it has helped kd!
Naomi said…
Wendy...I just learned something new about crying. Thank you for the information and your new blog is beautiful! Love the header. Thank you for linking up at WJIM.
Wendy said…
Thank you Naomi! It's nice to be back!
Judith said…
I love your new blog!! It is beautiful!! I missed you this past week, but what a pleasant surprise.

This was so helpful. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Wendy said…
Thank you Judith! It's so good to see you too :D
Laurie Collett said…
I love the beautiful new blog and I love this post! Jesus set the example by crying when He was sad, and men as well as women should not be afraid to do the same.
God bless,
Laurie
Wendy said…
Amen! Good to see you Laurie :D
Anonymous said…
This post brought tears to my eyes, and I love your information and examples. We need to laugh more and also weep often!
Kathy said…
Thank you this is so helpful. I learned some new things :) Beautiful new blog :)
Chatty Crone said…
I wonder at times what is wrong with me - I used to cry - a lot! I don't cry so much any more.

So did you close your last blog? And is this your new one?

Sandie
Dixieglitzie said…
Hi Wendy, so glad you invited me to check out your new blog...I LOVE it:)

I am involved in teaching the women at our church and can see how this information can be easily incorporated into some of my lessons. Wendy I believe that you are touching far more lives wth the love of Christ than you realize...and I am one of them:)

Thank you for the time and effort that you put into your writing. It is so VERY appreciated.

Much love from,
Dixie
Wendy said…
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I am so glad that this material is useful to help others and am happy for it to be passed on in class.

Sandie - yes, I closed ECTaS. I posted a note there to advice that I was doing this with a link to this new blog. It was something which I prayed about and am also sad about but it was time to move on.
Laura Rath said…
This is very interesting. I've always felt emotional tears are beneficial! :)

Like your new blog!

Blessings,
Laura
Wendy said…
Hi Laura!

I loved carrying out this study. It really helped me personally this past week.
Love this post, Wendy. What great research in science and Scripture. And it's nice to know that our tears can be healing. I do know I've suppressed tears at times and it usually makes me feel worse. My husband has learned to cry more easily as he's aged, so I'm glad for that as well! Encouraging post...and I like your new site...what made you decide you needed a change?
Wendy said…
Thank you for your lovely comment Gail and good question re: the change of blog. You can read why 'Encourage One Another' has replaced ECTaS here:

http://each-card-tells-a-story.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/new-blog.html

I've been blogging on ECTaS since November 2010 but in a totally different area of blogging. I will certainly miss ECTaS but the time is right for change.
Thanks for the comment on my blog...God used you to confirm something. Do you know when I answer your comments...I still am trying to figure out how blogspot handles comments. Anyway, it was a God-thing that you mentioned the recording. And I just read your reasons for moving your site...go, Girl! Sounds like God is moving you on to another adventure! Glad you won't be gone from the blogopshere just at another location where I can stop by and visit : )
This is really good! I always feel better after I've had a good cry...now I know why! :)
Wendy said…
Love how God does that Gail! It's exciting when God confirms something and often the other person is oblivious! Hope you are having a great 4th July.

Wendy :D
Wendy said…
Glad you enjoyed the post Mindy!

Happy 4th July
a joyful noise said…
The last time I really cried was a few days before my mother passed away. She appeared to be sleeping, and I was overcome with love for her and also sorrow for the times I felt I had let her down. We had a private time just Mom, me and God. Thanks for sharing this at Tell Me a Story.
Wendy said…
There are many times I've let my mum down too Hazel, but I know she still loves me. I'm sure it was the same with your mum also. Thank you for sharing this tender story.
Holly said…
what an interesting post. I know I always feel better after a good cry. I love the concept of your blog. It's so important for us to encourage one another!

Many blessings...

Following you on GFC. I'd love for you to stop by and follow me too ... if you want that is. ;-D I have 2 blogs--A Life-Size Catholic Blog and also a new blog, Define Inspiration (more about recipes, gardening and fitness).
Michelle said…
I was worshipping this past Sunday at church, we were singing of Jesus' love and about that time, Lillian grabbed my hand and wanted me to pick her up, she gave me a big hug and I wept. It was like a conduit of love opened up between Him and me and He was using her. It was awesome.
Wendy said…
Hi Holly

Thank you for your lovely comment and thank you for the invite.
Wendy said…
Michelle, what a precious moment. Bless Lillian - she is such a blessing to you (and others like me too).

Will drop by and say "Hello" (hopefully this pm after work).

((( Hugs )))
Beautiful new blog, and beautiful post. Thank you Wendy for elaborating on our tears. I like the verses about our tears in Psalm 56:8,0. I appreciate the effort you put into this post. Thanks again. ~ Abby
Bonnie said…
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this study..I am well aware in me of times when I don't allow myself to cry, that a root of bitterness and anger spring up..I will remember this and try and let the tear flow for cleansing..
Wendy said…
Thank you Abby and Bonnie... your comments are very much appreciated... it is so encouraging to know that this study has been helpful to others.
Jacque Watkins said…
This is fascinating!! Thank you so much for sharing!
Wendy said…
Thank you for dropping by Jacque and for leaving an encouraging comment. Appreciated.
Dolly@Soulstops said…
This is great, Wendy...adding it to my blog's sidebar...Thank you!
Wendy said…
Thank you Dolly!
Unknown said…
Cute! I love your website! I'm a new follower from a blog hop and would love if you followed back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com
Wendy said…
Hi Hubba - thank you for the invite... I already follow you :D

By the way, such gorgeous outfits on your blog!
Wendy said…
Michelle - I can't access your profile for some reason. Wanted to drop by to read posts re: Lillian but can't get on.
Mynn xx said…
I just LOVE your posts, Wendy! This is amazing! I'm going to have to start a Pinterest board now--this is being pinned! God bless and have a fabulous weekend! :)
Wendy said…
Mynnette, you are such a sweet person and encourager. Thank you!
Nikki (Sarah) said…
Wendy...there was a time I never cried. I wouldn't let myself. Now though since he softened my heart I do and it's so true..tears are an emotional release. Great study here. Wishing you a beautiful weekend.
Wendy said…
Bless you too Nikki! Thank you for your lovely comment.
Charlotte said…
I've always heard that crying was "good for you", but had never heard all these scientific explanations. Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
Charlotte
Charlotte said…
Hi Wendy. I should have added I really like your background and header on your blog.
Charlotte
Wendy said…
Thank you Charlotte.
Pamela said…
I guess I should have been a man. ;-) I cried so much the year Sarah died that I taught myself not to cry. This was so interesting. Didn't God create us so amazingly?
Laurie said…
Sometimes there is nothing better than a good cry. :)
Wendy said…
Pamela- there have been times these past 5 years which have been very difficult for my family and I have wanted to cry and have not been able to sometimes! However, I noticed that I became emotional listening to other people's stories and could shed tears for them. I didn't realise that God was using others to help release all the built up pain through listening to their problems. He is amazing.
Wendy said…
I agree Laurie. However, sometimes we find it difficult to let it all go. Please see comment above regarding times when I just could not cry in my own personal situation.
Laurie said…
Sometimes I find myself not being able to cry when feel like it, and then suddenly the floodgates will open! A good cry does indeed help us to feel better; at least it releases the tension we feel, and now I know the science behind it!
Wendy said…
God's amazing creation Laurie. It's remarkable!
Dear Wendy,
I am so blessed, encouraged, and informed by this post. I would like to feature you tomorrow (really tonight) on the 'EOA' link-up! Excellent work and it brings praise to God :)
Wenhdy said…
Thank you so much Jacqueline! Wow! I'm thrilled this post is being featured on Deep Roots at Home!
Good morning, Wendy!

I have so enjoyed reading this post. Isn't it amazing how God has provided a way to release those harmful toxins! Wow!

Thank you for sharing this on Think on These Things!

Kindly, Lorraine
Wendy said…
Thanks for stopping by Lorraine. Glory to God that this post has touched so many people in a helpful and informative way. It's been such a blessing to share.
God has certainly created us intricately and with purpose. Thanks for the lesson in tears. Much to consider. Found your post through Think on These Things. Hope you'll stop over and visit at Quirky Vistas sometime.
Liz
Wendy said…
Thanks for the invite Liz!
Anonymous said…
Shed lots of tears recently with the loss of my precious father-in-law and my youngest son going off to college...thanks for reminding me that tears are healthy! <3 the blog...
Wendy said…
I'm so encouraged that the Lord led you to read this particular post Vickie! It will take a bit of getting used to having your son in college but all the more precious when he is home.

Sorry to hear about your loss. May you continue to know the Lord's comfort at this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty from pain

"Have you ever noticed that flowers  smell more fragrant after the rain?" "For you died to this life,  and your  real life is hidden  with Christ in God." Colossians 3:3 (NLT) "A bruised reed  He shall not break, and a smoking flax  He will not snuff out." Matthew 12:20 (NIV) I read somewhere recently that "valleys are the most fertile places on earth"   a nd I believe this may be true in our lives also.  Sometimes, God leads us along mountain tops where life is 'rosy and bright'.  Other times, He leads us down into the valley; and it's in this fertile place that God speaks tenderly to us through the Holy Spirit who gently cultivates our hearts creating something beautiful for His glory. I've found time and again that it's in the valleys of life that that God grows my patience and trust in Him.  Although painful times, they have become beautiful too.   The poem below —"Beauty

Biblical fasting (my personal study notes)

Jesus said: "When you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full." - Matthew 6:16 This is an assumed statement Jesus makes to His followers, i.e. He does not say,  "If you fast,"   but rather, He says,  "When you fast,"  and yet many Christians turn a deaf ear or turn away when the subject of fasting is mentioned...  even when our Lord mentions it!  I like what the following quote by Thomas a Kempis says: "Jesus has many lovers of His kingdom of heaven, but he has few bearers of His Cross. Many desire His consolation, but few desire His tribulation. He finds many comrades in eating and drinking, but few hands who will be with Him in His abstinence and fasting... But those who love Jesus purely for Himself, and not for their own profit or convenience, bless Him as heartily in